This article is definitely resonating with me lately. Especially as I take on a career where I’m teaching those new in Zirtual. I certainly don’t want to fall into the trap of any of these dangerous items.
Kudos to Jessica Hagy on a great article and some nice graphics.
The article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessicahagy/2012/05/02/nine-dangerous-things-you-were-taught-in-school/
The 9 things:
1. The people in charge have all the answers.
2. Learning ends when you leave the classroom.
3. The best and brightest follow the rules.
4. What the books say is always true.
5. There is a very clear, single path to success.
6. Behaving yourself is as important as getting good marks.
7. Standardized tests measure your value.
8. Days off are always more fun than sitting in the classroom.
9. The purpose of your education is your future career.
(all of these are great points, perhaps none more than the last one – #9. Suppose any Liberal Arts grad could on board with that)